Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (GSEMA) serves thousands of girls in grades K-12 and works in partnership with thousands of adult volunteers. It is also a great place to work!
Every summer, girls arrive to summer camp excited for new experiences. GSEMA is currently looking for a dedicated and qualified Camp Director at Camp Favorite. The Camp Director will report to the Associate Director, Outdoor Adventure & Camps.
Located in Brewster, Massachusetts, Camp Favorite’s water sport activities are a thrilling twist on the traditional summer camp experience. Going into its 62nd summer, Camp Favorite offers girls the opportunity to sail, windsurf, kayak, surf, swim and bike the Cape Cod Canal.
Off Season: December 1, 2019– June 7, 2020 Camp
Season: June 8, 2020 through August 16, 2020
During the off season, the Camp Director will be responsible for:
- Engaging with prospective and enrolled camp families at Camp Favorite to respond to and address all questions and concerns, assist with enrollments and focus on ensuring the delivery of positive interactions.
- Interviewing, training, motivating and performance managing Camp Favorite summer staff
- Collaborating with administrative staff during the off-season.
- Overseeing camp program development to ensure that the delivered programs are age appropriate, engaging and comply with required safety standards.
- Working with the camp team to develop new camp programming ideas for Camp Favorite, ensuring the successful introduction and evaluation of innovative activities and programming.
- Represent and promote Camp Favorite at camp fairs, conduct camp tours and coordinate family events at camp and during the off season.
During the summer, the Camp Director will act as the face of Camp Favorite, being highly visible to campers and families during the camp day, managing camp staff and corresponding with parents as necessary. The Camp Director will direct the operations of the camp, giving consideration to the health and safety of the campers, the policies, standards, plan of work and the budget of the council; and the needs and interest of staff and campers both in groups and as individuals.
- Recruits, selects and trains staff.
- Maintains good public relations and communication with campers, their parents, fellow staff, and the community in person and online.
- Maintains accurate, up to date records, finances; submits reports and evaluations on time as requested.
- Supports, schedules, and evaluates staff under direct supervision.
- Develops a progressive program in keeping with the goals, objectives, and safety standards of the Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts and encourages girl/adult partnership in all camp activities.
- Monitors purchases, expenditures and sees that these do not exceed the camp budget.
- Is responsible for the health, safety and wellbeing for all campers and sees that Girl Scout safety standards, state standards, and family camping best practices are communicated and enforced with all staff, campers, and visitors.
- Responsible for ensuring American Camping Association accreditation standards are followed for all camp programming. Manages accreditation documentation for accreditation visits and takes the lead with visitors on the day of the visit. Works with the Director of Outdoor Adventure & Camps to ensure successful accreditation visit every 5 years as required by ACA.
- Contributes to the promotion of Girl Scouting, GSEMA programs and camps, and other council programs and events.
- All other duties as assigned.
Apply by: December 30 2019
Camp/Organization: Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (ACA Accredited)
Location: Brewster, MA
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Seasonal
The physical demands that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk on varied terrain, play games with campers and talk or hear.
- Specific vision ability required by this job is the ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus. Ability to differentiate colors helpful.
- Must be able to lift a maximum of 30 pounds on a regular basis.
The work environment an employee is exposed to while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work may be indoors or outdoors and may be hot, humid, rainy or cool weather.
- Work will be during daytime, evening, and overnight hours.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Familiar with Girl Scout program.
- Familiar with ACA accreditation process for camps.
- Be able to evaluate objectively and make necessary decisions and changes.
- Ability to work within the camp environment.
- Acceptance of all people and ability to work with girls and adults of various races, religions, and national origins.
- Holds current First Aid and CPR certifications from an accepted provider
- Experience leading activities and teaching children, teens, and adults in the outdoors
- Experience working with children ages 7-17 and adults
- Supervisory experience
- Previous camp experience
- At least 25 years of age by June
Can’t wait to join our team? To apply, submit your resume and cover letter with salary expectations by clicking here..
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. At Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts, we strive to create transformative learning experiences and leadership opportunities for all girls. The threads of diversity and inclusion are woven tightly into our mission of supporting and nurturing girls of courage, confidence and character. We hold firm in our belief that a culture of diversity and inclusion promotes unity, creates personal and professional growth opportunities for our employees, and supports safety and transformation for our volunteers and girls of all backgrounds. Diversity and Inclusion is more than an initiative; it’s a set of shared values that defines the fabric of our mission.