POSITION PURPOSE: Hale Outdoor Learning Adventures is a partnership between Hale, Boston Public Schools, the Boston After School and Beyond and Match Charter Schools. Together we provide transformative summer camp opportunities for inner city youth.
HOLA is looking for an experienced, patient, outgoing, and professional individual to serve as the Seasonal HOLA Camp Director.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the administration and operation of a comprehensive full-day summer academic and camp program.
Duties include planning, coordinating and supervising a wide variety of activities at camp, as well as staff management, and special event coordination.
This is a full-time position starting June 29 – August 14, 2020. Part-time, pre-season hours are necessary and flexible in the winter and spring.
• Program Planning and Training
• Staffing and Supervision
• Operations and Program Management
• Duties in conjunction with Academic Director
PROGRAM PLANNING AND TRAINING
• Plan, implement and administer daily operations of HOLA to include, but not limited to, daily programming, transportation, special events and parent relations.
• Co-Lead Pre Summer Staff Training week.
• Assist in the development of camp groups with Academic Director.
• Assist in appropriately staffing the camp which requires hiring, training, scheduling and communication.
• Prepare specialized lists each week for allergies, medications, and health and behavioral concerns.
• Meet with the Camp Administrator in pre-season and during the summer to coordinate supplies, ordering, special events, weekly activities and budget.
• Prepare calendar of activities to inform participants for each week.
• Establish positive rapport and on-going communication with campers and parents/guardians.
STAFFING AND SUPERVISION
• Responsible for all summer camp counselors and office manager throughout summer season.
• Establish positive rapport and on-going communication with staff.
• Manage and record disciplinary action as needed, following all Hale policies and procedures.
• Perform staff observations and perform mid-program and end of program reviews.
• Implement department safety and emergency policies to maintain health, safety and welfare of all staff in accordance with state regulations.
OPERATIONS AND PROGRAM MANAGEMENT
• Working with the Camp Administrator, ensure Camp remains in accordance with Massachusetts state regulations for recreational camps (105 CMR 430).
• Insure implementation of non-academic camp curriculum and programs.
• Oversee the use of equipment and maintenance in program areas.
• Implement department safety and emergency policies to maintain health, safety and welfare of all campers and staff in accordance with state regulations.
• Complete time reporting forms for payroll.
• Arrange for coverage in the event of summer staff absence.
• Help to establish program guidelines (i.e. planning, curriculum development, supervision, goals).
• Supervise day to day operation of day camp program and create camp culture to insure campers and staff have a positive camp experience.
• Oversee the seasonal opening and closing of camp, including cleaning and inventories.
• Complete and turn in weekly and seasonal reports.
DUTIES IN CONJUNCTION WITH CAMP ADMINISTRATOR AND ACADEMIC DIRECTOR
• Execute and enforce site policies and camper discipline code.
• Coordinate emergency response procedures in the event of emergency.
• Develop program schedule in advance of summer, including special events.
• Establish and co-facilitate regular meeting schedule between summer staff.
• Meet daily during summer with Academic Director to track quality of programming and to ensure outcome goals are on track to be met.
• Work with Academic Director and Camp Administrator lead to implement evaluation protocols - surveys, tests, etc.
ADDITIONAL JOB DUTIES
• Lead in-service training sessions throughout the summer
• Plan Family BBQ prior to the start of camp
• Contribute to verbal and written evaluations and communication as requested
• Complete paperwork related to communication with parents and evaluation of staff and programs
• Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning and leading when assigned
• Deliver and supervise, special events and other all-camp activities and camp functions as needed
• Assist in site cleaning and maintenance throughout camp season • Complete all other duties assigned by the Camp Administrator
Apply by: April 7 2020
Location: Westwood, MA
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Seasonal
• Ability to run short distances
• Ability to lift/move/push up to 30 pounds (with occasional demands up to 50lbs)
• Ability to spend up to 10 hours outdoors, standing/walking/running Additional Requirements
• CPR and First Aid Certification, or willingness to attain certificate
• Cleared by state criminal and sex offender background checks
• Able and willing to supervise summer staff
• Provide constructive feedback
• Develop collaborative effort
• Encourage positive and enthusiastic environment
• Able and willing to work closely with Camp Administrator from Hale along with the HOLA Academic Director
Education, Training, and Experience
• Bachelor degree in Recreation, Education, or related field; teacher certification preferred
• 25 years or older; preferred
• At least 2 years experience and demonstrated track record in camp program, outdoor or environmental education, recreation administration, education, or similar area
• Experience collaborating with non-profits
Please send cover letter and resume to Jaclyn Ross, Camp Administrator.