The Camp Director is responsible to develop and supervise family programming including but not limited to the eight-week summer camp program and holiday weekend. Other duties may include helping with organizational special events and facilities rentals in the off-season.
NATURE OF WORK AND POSITION
The Camp Director works under the direct supervision of the Dream Day Executive Director and in conjunction with the Family Relations/Facilities Committees to ensure a successful camp experience for the children and families that attend and also maintain a safe, vibrant, professional camp setting. This includes:
1. Complying with all Dream Day policies and procedures and updating as necessary.
2. Establishing and maintaining significant relationships with the children, families, volunteers and paid staff.
3. Providing direct supervision to the paid and volunteer staff.
4. Meeting regularly (daily when is in session) with the staff and volunteers.
5. Recruiting, cultivating and supporting qualified volunteers to assist with camp maintenance and activities.
6. Recruit, screen, and schedule families to apply to family programming
SPECIFIC JOB FUNCTIONS
The Camp Director, under the supervision of the Executive Director and in conjunction with the Family Relations/Facilities Committees, is responsible to carry out the following functions:
1. Together with Executive Director and the Board of Directors Family Relations Committee, develop a camp program upholding Dream Day ideals, using camp resources, and appropriate to the client population.
2. Operate camp program within budget with exception of Board approved overrides.
3. Ensure that all programs and events are properly staffed within budget.
4. Recruit, screen, interview, reference-check, and hire staff and volunteers.
5. Provide orientation and training to staff /volunteers regarding camp policies, procedures and camp activities.
6. Lead paid and volunteer staff discipline, reviews, final evaluation, and suggestions for rehiring.
7. Ensure the safety of all children, families and staff when camp is in session.
8. Provide daily supervision to staff and volunteers when camp is in session.
9. Ensure that the camp activities and events are appropriate and that the program schedule is maintained.
10. Organize camp volunteer schedule and maintain communication with volunteers.
11. Coordinate off-campus trips.
12. Order all supplies and food (in conjunction with the Chef) to ensure that all programs are properly equipped with necessary supplies and or product.
13. Providing the Executive Director and the Family Relations Committee with weekly written on the status of operations.
14. Use data from family and staff evaluations to inform programming operation.
15. Network with caregivers, parent groups, professional organizations on Dream Day's behalf with purposes of recruiting families, staff, and volunteers - and also for public relations purposes.
16. Develop offseason family programming - one day gatherings and others as directed.
17. Align Dream Day's camp program within national association standards.
18. Work with ED to use data (including demographic and health) collected to inform and support fundraising efforts.
Apply by: January 25 2019
Camp/Organization: Dream Day on Cape Cod
Location: Brewster, MA
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Year Round
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Application must include cover letter, resume including list of certifications. Applications/Questions must be emailed with SUBJECT LINE: Camp Director Position to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ideal candidate will have significant past camp experience with, at least, one year as a Camp Manager or Director. S/he will have a strong record of successful relationships with camp staff and possess demonstrated leadership. Proven skills as a leader and team builder are essential. CORI/SORI checked.
This position is part-time (off site remote work) from after Labor Day to - June 1st, and is full-time/ residential from June 2 - through Labor Day. Estimated hours off-season 10 per week with occasionally more as needed. Some visits to Cape Cod required in the office season for weekend meetings and Holiday Weekend which is typically the second weekend in December. Dates are negotiable for the right candidate. Housing is provided on site during the residential season in beautiful Nickerson State Park in Brewster on Cape Cod. Includes all utilities.