The YMCA of Greater Providence is looking for full and part time Camp Counselors for the upcoming season. Camp Counselors Provide leadership and supervision; insure health, safety and general wellbeing of school age children in a camp environment. Implement and maintain a high quality, well-rounded, fun-filled program. The South County YMCA is looking for individuals passionate about youth service and fun. Camp Broad Rock would love to welcome you to their enthusastic camp family!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Directly supervise and be responsible for his/her group of children; leading the group in age appropriate activities.
- Ensure the health and safety of all the children cautioning them regarding unsafe practices and conditions. Report accidents and injuries and complete incident reports. Follow procedure for use of first aid kit.
- Plan and lead activities with a group in accordance with the camp calendar.
- Maintain good public relations with parents. Understand that you represent the YMCA and maintain a positive disposition, demeanor and attire. Attempt to answer parent concerns or make appropriate referrals to the director.
- Set and maintain limits for children using positive reinforcement.
- Treat children with dignity and respect. Recognize their individuality and diversity.
- Maintain a healthy and safe environment through regular maintenance and cleaning of the facilities.
- Assist in maintaining the necessary records involving attendance and sign-in and sign out sheets. When releasing children, ensure that the proper release procedures are followed and appropriate identification is shown.
- Report concerns of parents or of children to direct supervisor; complete necessary child abuse report forms as needed.
- Arrive prepared for the scheduled shift, prepared for constant concentration and visual surveillance of program participants with no distractions.
- Work in harmony and cooperation with staff, volunteers, members of the YMCA.
- Responsible for attending staff meetings/events. Demonstrate and teach the character development program values of caring, respect, responsibility, and honesty.
- Participate in pre-camp training.
Apply by: May 26 2017
Camp/Organization: YMCA of Greater Providence (ACA Accredited)
Location: South County Branch - South Kingstown, RI
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
- High School (GED) preferred. Minimum of two years’ High School
- Formal training or one year experience working with school age children preferred.
- Lifeguard certification preferred
- Ability to obtain Chauffeurs Driver’s License preferred
- CPR/First Aid
- Listen First
- Child Abuse Prevention
- All certifications must be renewed in a timely manner in accordance with general YMCA policies and based on fitness standards.
Ability to anticipate, identify and address members needs to ensure safety and enjoyment. To accurately complete all required paperwork. To professionally handle and or get help to resolve conflict. Ability to follow instructions as given and/or directed by supervisor. This position requires normal attention and alertness with occasional concentration. Basic, ordinary courtesy and effectiveness in dealing with others. The position will have few or moderate number of interdepartmental or external contacts on routine matters.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands; balance, stoop, kneel or crouch; and talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The position has exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens and the incumbent will be educated and prepared to do so.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
, Rhode Island