Senior Counselors are primarily responsible for the care of their cabin group. Counselors spend most of their day accompanying their group to various activities. During activity periods these counselors attend and participate in each activity that the group does. They tend to develop closer bonds with their cabin group members and are expected to manage personalities and issues within the cabin group.
Plan, organize, and conduct a variety of recreational activities during the Summer Camp program:
- Ability to plan, develop & lead communicate and work with campers ages 5-14, at various skill levels, to provide necessary instruction and to communicate with other staff members
- Development of activities on a daily basis – works directly with individual children and in groups
- Ability to observe camper behavior assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers
- Follows procedures to safeguard the health and safety of the children
- Communicates regularly with the each Camper’s Parents and the Camp Director about any concerns or issues that may arise. Encourage friendships within bunk and other campers.
- Create an environment in which campers have fun and feel safe.
- Guide bunk and individual campers to participate successfully in all aspects of camp activities
- Carry out established roles for supervising camper’s health and happiness.
- Develop cabin plans with campers and staff, like cabin clean-up, activity participation
- Carry out established roles in enforcing camp safety regulations including instructing campers in emergency procedures such as fire drills and severe weather
- Assist in teaching or leading an activity, as assigned
- Prepare for and actively participate in staffing training and meetings
- Encourage respect for personal property, camp equipment and facilities
- Be sure cabin is thoroughly clean last day of each session
Apply by: April 3 2017
Camp/Organization: Merrimack Parks & Recreation (ACA Accredited)
Location: Merrimack, NH
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Desire and ability to work with children outdoors
- Ability to relate to one’s peer group
- Ability to accept supervision and guidance
- Ability to assist in teaching activities
- Good character, integrity, and adaptability
- Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control
- Experience in camp setting preferred
- Current CPR and first aid certificate preferred
- Experience working with children; preferably in a group setting.
- Ability to communicate and work with campers ages 5-14, at various skill levels, to provide
- Ability to communicate with fellow staff members
- Ability to observe camper behavior assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety
- Apply appropriate behavior-management techniques
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to camper activities
Please visit http://www.merrimacknh.gov/positionopenings or the Town of Merrimack Human Resource Office located at 6 Baboosic Lake Road, Merrimack, NH, 03054 to view a complete job description and to obtain a Town application. To apply, submit your Town application and a copy of your certification cards to the above address. No email please. Position is open until filled. EOE For questions about the position, please contact Parks & Recreation Director Matt Casparius at 603-882-1046. Position is open until filled