The Camp Chef is responsible for the menu planning, food ordering, and the daily meal preparation and service for 66 campers and approximately 30 staff members. The chef is also responsible for maintaining the kitchen, food preparation areas, food storage areas, walk-in refrigerator and freezer, and dishwashing areas in accordance to New Hampshire State Regulations, American Camp Association Standards, and Summer Food Service Program Requirements.
Apply by: April 5 2015
Camp/Organization: Brantwood Camp (ACA Accredited)
Type of Position: Kitchen Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
1. Provide the Camp residents (campers and staff) with 3 nutritious meals each day at the specified times of 7:45 a.m., 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
2. Plan a menu that provides meals that are healthy, kid-friendly, and offers variety. Menus must comply with the Summer Food Service Program Requirements.
3. Order food in appropriate quantities to meet the menu planning without having excessive overage and that stays within the designated budget.
4. Ensure that all aspects of the kitchen operation are compliant with New Hampshire State Regulations, American Camp Association Standards, and the Summer Food Service Program Requirements.
5. Lift, sometimes heavy, boxes, cartons, and various containers of food as well as crates of milk or other liquids in order to store food and liquids as soon as possible following deliveries. Storage must be in accordance with New Hampshire State Regulations, American Camp Association Standards, and Summer Food Service Program Requirements.
6. Work in a fast-paced, ever changing, outdoor oriented environment where multiple decisions may need to be made quickly and where plans may change on short notice due to weather.
7. Provide appropriate meals for campers and/or staff who may have allergies or other dietary restrictions (i.e. vegetarian, vegan, no pork, etc.).
8. Access all parts of camp quickly. This may require navigating hilly, uneven, and difficult terrain over long distances in emergency situations.
9. Communicate clearly, in writing and orally, and interact effectively with staff, parents, campers, Board of Trustees, and the Executive Director.
10. Represent the Camp in a professional and positive manner at all times.
11. Pack appropriate food and related supplies for various sized groups leaving camp for day hikes and overnights out of camp.
12. Work with the Program Director to plan and organize BBQ style or other non-typical lunches/dinners on specified days.
13. Plan for and prepare a Thanksgiving style lunch served family style on Sundays, unless otherwise notified by the Program Director.
14. Oversee the maintenance of all equipment in the kitchen and notify the Program Director of any needed repairs.
15. Respond calmly and appropriately in emergency situations and effectively assist the Program Director with emergency management if requested.
16. Provide effective supervision and guidance to teen staff who assist with food serving, cleaning dishes, and cleaning the kitchen at each meal.
-Minimum of 2 years menu planning, food ordering, and cooking experience preferably in a camp setting, school setting or for large groups
-Minimum of 2 years kitchen management experience preferably in a camp setting or school setting