We're Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (GSEMA). We’re 45,000 strong, with 30,000 girls and 15,000 volunteers in 178 communities in eastern Massachusetts who believe in the power of every G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader)™ to change the world. Girl Scouts is the preeminent leadership development organization for girls. It is also a great place to work! We offer amazing opportunities for forward-thinking, talented individuals who share our vision of helping girls and young women change the world for the better. Join our team of dedicated professionals and make a difference in girls' lives!
We have a new full-time position open for Associate Director of Camp and Outdoor Adventure. This position will report to the Director of Camp and Outdoor Experience. This position will be based out of either GSEMA's Waltham or Middleboro office.
The Associate Director of Camp and Outdoor Adventure will oversee the development of camp/outdoor curriculum and the implementation of outdoor education and adventure programs for girls and adults. They will be responsible for the effective operation and general administration of resident camp(s) and adventure programs throughout the council.
- Provides supervision, mentoring and support to Outdoor Adventure team and summer camp directors.
- Establishes a strong and productive relationship with direct reports including regular communication, timely performance feedback, and offers opportunities for professional development opportunities.
- Assists with the recruitment and hiring of highly qualified part-time outdoor adventure facilitators and seasonal summer camp staff.
- Develops and oversees the administration of year round camp and outdoor adventure programs including but not limited to: high and low challenge course programs, archery programs, boating programs, backcountry travel programs, winter exploration programs, adult outdoor training, etc.
- Leverages the use of GSEMA properties and amenities to deliver accessible and progressive outdoor experiences that are inclusive to all GSEMA members and outside user groups.
- Develops and oversees the administration of training for staff and volunteers on camping and outdoor activities as well as outdoor adventure program activities, specialized equipment and certifications.
- Through the development of curricula, ensures outdoor learning is based on girls’ interests, youth development trends, council objectives, and Girl Scout Leadership Experience outcomes.
- Ensures all activities and events are consistent with GSUSA health and safety standards, American Camp Association Standards of Accreditation, the council’s risk management plan and local, state, and federal laws.
- Collaborates with staff and volunteers to expand the emphasis on getting girls, troops and families outdoors throughout the year.
- Coordinates with community based programming and membership staff to develop opportunities that support membership recruitment and retention to get girls from underserved communities outdoors and at camp.
- Contributes to the increase of membership via the development and delivery of the national leadership curriculum with a focus on the outdoors.
- Assists in the development of marketing and fund development strategies to ensure the increased participation of Girl Scout members and non-Girl Scout members in council-sponsored outdoor learning.
- Ensures events and activities are cost effective and maximize use of council-owned sites.
- Assists with the preparation of the department budget for related initiatives and grant requests.
- Designs girl programs and activities that are cost effective, aligned with annual budget and maximizes the use of council and partner resources and uses feedback to make changes appropriately.
- Ensures that evaluations are performed on all program offerings.
- Provides support for the council product sales and other fund development activities.
- Provides professional, quality customer service to members, volunteers, staff, and other community contacts.
- Maintains confidentiality on behalf of the Girl Scout organization and in accordance with the GSEMA Comprehensive Information Security Program (CISP).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Apply by: February 8 2019
Camp/Organization: Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (ACA Accredited)
Location: Waltham, MA or Middleboro, MA
Type of Position: Administrative
Time Frame: Year Round
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field.
- 2-5 years of experience in developing, conducting and/or supervising innovative outdoor/camp education programs.
- 2-5 years of experience in supervising, coaching and mentoring staff.
- Experience in developing budgets; ability to manage financial resources effectively.
- View working/collaborating with individuals of diverse backgrounds and ages as an asset.
- Strong communication, organization and time management skills, as well as public speaking and program capabilities.
- Strong public relations skills and ability to develop community collaborations.
- Ability to effectively identify, analyze and solve problems.
- Capacity to, independently and as part of a team, plan, organize and prioritize work, while managing multiple deadlines in a continually changing work environment.
- Ability to use sound judgment in decision-making, and to work independently.
- Ability to handle crisis and situations in a calm manner.
- Must be able to communicate clearly orally and in writing.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, and a willingness to travel throughout the council.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and have access to a car, necessary to carry out responsibilities.
- Works well and relates to children of all ages.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software; experience using Salesforce or demonstrated ability to learn and become proficient with new technology.
- Accept the Girl Scout commitment to work with all without regard to race, ethnicity/culture, religion, socio-economic-status, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation or differing abilities.
- Ability to lift 20 pounds.
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts offers a competitive benefits package including generous paid time off, health and dental insurance, training opportunities, and much more. Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity.