Christodora announces an exciting opportunity for a vibrant leader in outdoor education to join our team as the Assistant Director of our flagship programming at the Manice Education Center. The Manice Education Center (MEC) is intentionally located in a pristine wilderness setting, nestled in the Berkshire Mountains of Western Massachusetts. Christodora, a 116 year-old non-profit organization, offers high quality environmental education, leadership training, and wilderness expeditions to approximately 900 New York City youth at MEC each year.The Assistant Director (AD) will engage as a key member of the team with contagiously positive energy and a mature poise while coordinating and supervising Manice Education Center daily operations from April through October.
Responsibilities include assisting the director in training, mentoring, and supporting 12-15 front line outdoor educators in delivering effective inquiry based environmental education activities, leadership training, and wilderness expeditions. The AD coordinates staff and program schedules, educational activities, center wide activities. The AD also evaluates staff and facility needs, assists in day to day care of gardens, prepares supply requisitions, and helps to transport program participants and staff in Center vehicles. The Manice Education Center is a residential program and requires the Assistant Director to live on-site in a personal apartment from April through October. The right candidates may be considered for an opportunity to provide leadership and teach in our classroom based nature education program in NYC public schools during the off season of the Manice Education Center, providing year round employment.
Apply by: April 4 2015
Camp/Organization: Christodora-Manice Education Center
Location: Town of Florida
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Year Round
- Excellent motivational, organizational, and communication skills; BA/BS in a related discipline.
- At least 2 years of supervisory level experience in a residential camp or relevant similar setting.
- Regulations require candidates to be at least 25 year old.
- Clean background clearances and medical physical. Initial drug screening may be required.
A successful applicant will:
• Have at least 2 years of prior experience in a supervisory/coordinating capacity for outdoor education and expedition based youth programs with demonstrated success in coordinating schedules and program activities and mentoring/supervising staff.
• Be passionate about positively impacting youth and can easily build rapport with a broad and diverse population from low income neighborhoods in New York City. Ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
• Be Certified as a Wilderness First Responder (or ability to attain) and have a proven ability to make effective decisions in emergency circumstances, and perform as Acting Director during the evenings. Lifeguarding Certification (or ability to attain) is a plus.
• Be able to easily spark an interest in the natural sciences and possess prior experience teaching environmental education lessons/activities in informal or formal settings.
• Have relevant prior experience facilitating challenge course activities, leading backpacking trips, and canoeing; and be able to provide occasional field support as necessary.
• Be able and committed to become an integral part of the Christodora community for at least 2-3 seasons.
Salary/Benefits: Competitive weekly salary D.O.E.; room and board; equipment discounts; company provided cell phone and laptop; worker’s insurance; equipment discounts; professional certifying trainings; and an opportunity to work/live in beautiful outdoor setting while making a positive and lasting impact for New York City youth! Apply: Please send a detailed cover letter and a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Assistant Director” in the title. Feel free to also include outdoor leadership and/or education portfolios.