During the summer, the Assistant Director is expected to:
- Provide for the safety of all that attend Camp Wa-Klo
- Ensure that the American Camping Association (ACA) Standards are being followed and met
- Ready the camp for ACA Reaccreditation
- Develop and implement the program
- Supervise the kitchen and coordinate program with food service
- Coordinate all programming issues with administrative team
- Manage the dining room and all support staff employees
- Aid in evaluating staff both seasonal and full-time
- Assist the Area Heads and LTG supervisor with any difficulties
- Support the Water, Land, & Creative Supervisors with any issues
- Prepare the camp for opening and closing
- Determine and contribute to the overall feeling that camp gives to staff and campers
- Report to the director about any joys, concerns, or challenges
- Work in alliance with the administrative team
- Solve problems, assist in solutions, and keep a sense of humor
- Establish a rapport with campers and staff
- Work in partnership with camp agencies and other camps
- Read and edit all materials that go out to the camp community
- Decide, create, and complete any task that will make Wa-Klo more functional and successful
- Expect the unexpected
During the non-summer months, the Assistant Director is expected to:
- Do all of the summer month tasks if applicable
- Attend camp fairs and home visits to help recruit campers and parents
- Increase knowledge about safety, programming, administration, and camping by attending conferences, workshops, and seminars
- Create interesting items for public relations
- Communicate with parents, campers, and staff with any questions or concerns
- Find different ways to promote camp in order to obtain staff and campers
- Implement varying programming ideas
- Find a careful balance between tradition and innovation
- Meet regularly and communicate often with Administrative team
- Prepare for the summer months using creative strengths
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Apply by: August 7 2017
Camp/Organization: Camp Wa-Klo (ACA Accredited)
Location: Worcester, Massachusetts and Dublin, New Hampshire
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Year Round
- A minimum of five years relevant work experience with primary school age children is required, as is a bachelor degree, preferably in Recreation Management, Elementary Education, or Early Childhood Development.
- A qualified candidate must be able to make informed and sound judgments, particularly with regard to safety, under a variety of circumstances.
- Must possess good verbal communication skills, be resourceful, and be capable of working with minimal supervision.
- Must, at all times, demonstrate a high degree of professionalism and conduct when working with and around others.
- The ability to handle stressful situations and make rational decisions and take effective action.
- Ability to work independently and as a strong team player under time pressure without loss of poise, grace, or humor.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills.