Dates of Employment: June 8th – July 28th, 2017
Reports to: Camp Director
Position Purpose: To further the mission of BCH Camp through the development of staff and co-management of camp operations.
Essential Job Functions:
- Supervise and evaluate leadership team members including the Explorer Director, Challenge Director, Base Director and EDGE Director.
- Provide consistent and on-going feedback, support and guidance.
- Assist with management of counselors and campers.
- Oversee camper discipline procedures to ensure they are in line with camp policies.
- Regularly monitor the work of leadership staff.
- Regularly monitor the work of camp counselors.
- Provide recommendations and concerns to camp director regarding leadership team members’ performance.
- Run weekly Leadership Team meetings.
- Co-lead Staff Training.
- Develop schedule and workshops during leadership staff training.
- Support leadership staff in their planning of workshops.
- Lead specific workshops – behavior management, grievance procedures, crisis and risk management, and more.
- Lead Daily Staff Small Group Meetings
- Facilitate a bible study, reflection and constructive problem-solving meetings with small groups of staff.
- Provide feedback, insight and support in a productive manner.
- Oversee the daily operation of the summer camp.
- Responsible for weekly cabin staffing.
- Responsible for placing campers in cabins.
- Oversee trip logistics – make sure staff have medical forms, first aid kits, driving directions, etc.
- Provide staff with weekly resources – schedules, feedback forms, pack-out slips, etc.
- Check in with the camp nurse to make sure the health center’s needs are being met.
- Help with administrative and programmatic tasks as needed.
- Carry the on-call phone in case of parent emergencies.
- Regularly meet with staff.
Other Job Duties:
- Attend daily administrative staff meetings (with Camp Director, Program Director and Head Chaplain).
- Attend weekly leadership staff meetings (with above positions + Unit Directors, Day Camp Coordinator, Waterfront Director and Junior Counselor Director).
- Maintain clear and positive verbal and written communication with all camp staff.
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, providing support and guidance to those assigned as leaders.
- Participate as a member of the camp staff team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Bring campers and staff to the hospital, as needed.
Apply by: December 8 2016
Camp/Organization: Barbara C. Harris Camp & Conference Center (ACA Accredited)
Location: Greenfield, New Hampshire
Type of Position: Director
Time Frame: Seasonal
- 23 years or older
- At least 3 years of experience in a camp leadership or administrative role.
- College degree preferred.
- Experience in staff and youth development.
- Experience working at a faith-based or religious organization.
- Current certification in First Aid and CPR.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Passion for youth camping.
- Experience in teaching and training adults and children.
- Familiarity with and openness towards the Episcopalian faith and traditions.
- Ability to work long hours and be on-call during time-off.
The Barbara C. Harris Camp is an Episcopal overnight camp with an emphasis on faith formation, community building, positive peer relationships and personal growth. We are a progressive Christian camp with a commitment to providing an open and affirming environment to campers and staff regardless of their background and orientation. The Assistant Camp Director is not required to be an Episcopalian, however applicants with a strong faith or social justice background will be strongly considered.