Location: Newburyport, MA
Sanctuary: Joppa Flats Education Center
About Joppa Flats Summer Camp: Joppa Flats Summer Camp emphasizes nature study, group cooperation, and experiential learning, and fun outdoors. Our mission is to connect kids with the natural world, and we’re excited to welcome new members to our team who feel as passionately as we do about getting kids outside and into nature. It’s a lot of hard work, but we like to think it’s the best, most fun and rewarding work to be doing! Please be sure to visit www.massaudubon.org/joppaflatscamp to familiarize yourself with the mission and content of our camp programming.
Job Description: Joppa Flats Education Center is looking for creative and enthusiastic instructors for its After-Camp program for children ages 6 to 11. This program allows families to pick-up their camper from our summer camp at 5:00pm instead of 3:00pm.
This is an as-needed position; consistent need is anticipated but cannot be guaranteed until camp registrations develop further.
Provided, mandatory training includes risk management, Hazardous Communication Law, blood-borne pathogen safety, emergency and health procedures, and activity planning. The Camp Director will offer activity and game ideas, but experience and independence in coming up with your own “edu-tainment” for our campers is a plus.
Schedule: 13.75 hrs/week: Mondays – Fridays, 2:45pm – 5:30pm, assuming adequate camper enrollment
Camp Weeks: June 26– August 18, 2016
*there is no After-Camp on July 4th.
Training Days: 3 weekdays, TBD between June 16 and June 23
- Facilitate active and passive activities to keep campers engaged after camp, while meeting their diverse energy levels at the end of the day
- Supervise campers
- Provide and maintain boundaries for group and camper well-being
- Maintain a positive and safe environment with the support of the Camp Director and another instructor, working as a team
- Administer first aid as necessary
- Be enthusiastic and creative
- Be patient with children, and willing to be flexible to their interests and personalities within limits for safety and camp appropriateness
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have experience connecting children with nature and/or caring for them.
- Be certified in First Aid/CPR/AED by the first day of After Camp
- Be comfortable working outside and willing to handle sun and bugs
- Be a team player
- Must pass a background records check (CORI, SORI and driver’s – if currently licensed to drive)
Compensation: $11.00/hour This is an exempt position.
How to Apply: Please email or send your resume, cover letter and 3 references to:
Kirsten Lindquist, Camp Director
Joppa Flats Education Center
P.O. Box 1558
Newburyport, MA 01950
Apply by: March 6 2017
Camp/Organization: Joppa Flats Summer Camp - Mass Audubon (ACA Accredited)
Location: Newburyport, MA
Type of Position: General Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal