The trip leader is primarily responsible for the safety & well being of 6-12 teens on a one week adventure trip, while also providing the teens with opportunities for growth in self-confidence, self-reliance and teamwork. In addition this person oversees the 3-week L.E.A.P. (Leaders Engaging in Advanced Programming) experience for 8 16-year-olds. This director is responsible for leading on-site leadership programming and off-site volunteerism.
• Creates & maintains a safe, fun environment for Adventure Trip campers. Responsibly supervise participants at all times.
• Leads by example in accordance with camp’s values of caring, honesty, respect, & responsibility. Provides a positive role model for teens to look up to.
• Provide cultural and personal learning opportunities for campers. Advance camper’s technical outdoor skills according to their individual ability.
• Works well as a team in a close-knit, intensive environment with co-director.
• Provide creative and flexible alternative programming, especially in the face of sudden itinerary changes or poor weather days.
• Maintain an organized trip itinerary notebook, including health log and emergency contacts. Keep accurate, timely records of all trip finances that could total $1,000 +.
• Promote the use of minimum impact (“Leave No Trace”) camping skills at all times.
• Assist camp directors and staff with program, equipment, administration, and transportation needs while in camp.
• Maintains high quality relationships with co-leaders and vendors/outfitters. Consistently acts in a way that reflects positively on the reputation of Camp Woodstock
• Maintain state laws and follow tripping standards as set by the American Camping Association and YMCA Camp Woodstock at all times.
• Manage & inventory all equipment, ensuring it is returned to camp in good condition.
• Any other duties as assigned by the Youth Leadership Director
Apply by: April 4 2015
Camp/Organization: YMCA Camp Woodstock (ACA Accredited)
Location: Woodstock Valley, CT
Type of Position: Specialized Activity Leader
Time Frame: Seasonal
Salary: $2,100 - $2,300 + room and board
• Must be 21 years of age.
Must be certified or able to be certified in…
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer
- Wilderness First Aid
- American Red Cross Lifeguarding (with preference to Waterfront certification)
- TRAINING AND CERTIFICATIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE PRIOR TO START OF POSITION.
- Experienced and comfortable with a variety of basic outdoor skills (examples include camp cooking, hiking trail navigation, fire building, etc)
- Must have a valid United States Driver’s License.
- Must be able to pass a driving background check, as well as a driving test.