Looking for an exciting journey this summer? Come join our team of passionate leaders at Camp Burgess & Hayward’s Adventure Trips! Based in beautiful Cape Cod, MA, we are surrounded by 300 forested acres and three freshwater ponds.
Camp Burgess & Hayward’s Adventure Trips offers 12 – 17 year olds a unique summer experience starting at our Base Camp on Cape Cod. We provide a fun and supportive atmosphere for our campers to try new activities and forge lasting friendships. We strive to instill a love of the outdoors in our participants, while fostering leadership skills, encouraging effective communication, and living in a communal environment.
We offer trips focused on kayaking, surfing, biking, SCUBA, and camping. Our trips also involve swimming, canoeing, high ropes, outdoor cooking, and exploring the many beaches and summer activities that Cape Cod has to offer. Campers attend our programs from across the United States and abroad to take advantage of our unique and exhilarating programs.
TRIP LEADER RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Co-lead 8-12 campers throughout the summer on 6 to 12 day co-ed excursions around Cape Cod, the Islands, and beyond
• Ensure safety of participants at all times
• Be a good role model for fellow staff members and campers, and embody the YMCA core values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility
• Facilitate meal planning and preparation
• Create a fun environment, foster a positive group dynamic, and facilitate debriefing of group activities to encourage learning and growth
• Effectively teach outdoor and trip-specific skills to campers. Contracted professionals facilitate some activities, including surfing and SCUBA
• Drive 10-passenger vans, 15 passenger buses, and tow trailers with vehicles
• Manage trip finances and logistics
• Keep paperwork organized and up- to-date
• Manage and care for equipment
• Genuine passion for working with teens in the outdoors
• 21+ years old with a clean driving record
• Current Lifeguard and First Aid/CPR Certifications or be willing to obtain prior to start date
• WFR or WFA highly desired
• Experience working with youth in a leadership and mentorship role, managing group dynamics, and coordinating logistics
• Safety-conscious, energetic, flexible, responsible, patient, fun and compassionate
• Paddling, biking, surfing, camping, and outdoor experience preferred
AVAILABILITY: June 10 – August 17, 2018
• Opportunities for fall employment in Outdoor Education potentially available
COMPENSATION: $385/week · Trip Leaders receive two weeks of paid training, staff lodging in a large platform tent or yurt, all meals while working, and free access to laundry machines and internet. This position provides a great opportunity to develop leadership skills both personally and professionally and in a wide range of outdoor pursuits. You will be working as part of a supportive, experienced, and fun-loving community – all while enjoying the beauty of summer on Cape Cod!
Apply by: June 23 2018
Camp/Organization: YMCA Camp Burgess & Hayward (ACA Accredited)
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Type of Position: Specialized Activity Leader
Time Frame: Seasonal
75 Stowe Rd
Sandwich, Massachusetts 02563