EDGE is an adventure-based program for teens entering 9th – 12th grades that runs in 1 and 2 week sessions. EDGE Facilitators will co-lead a program focused on personal growth through challenging ropes course initiatives, outdoor living skills, wilderness trips and forming an intentional community. Spiritual reflection in an adventure setting is the cornerstone of BCH Camp’s EDGE program.
Dates of Employment: June 12th – August 3rd, 2017
- Assume responsibility for leadership and guidance to up to 14 EDGE campers in their daily living, with special attention to:
- Campers personal interactions with respect toward others
- Campers personal growth, self-confidence and independence through group living
- Providing a safe, positive and supportive environment for campers to challenge themselves and grow.
- Assist in the development and delivery of a trip program that is appropriate for campers.
- Evaluate abilities of campers and staff related to the proposed trip.
- Teach the skills necessary for a fun and safe trip before leaving the camp site, including personal and group health and safety, outdoor cooking and camping, comfortable travel methods, maintenance and care of equipment, emergency procedures, etc.
- Lead and teach campers in various outdoor program areas.
- Facilitate low and high ropes course initiatives.
- Co-lead hikes, night activities, camping trips, outdoor cooking, paddling and climbing trips.
- Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers within activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes.
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth.
- Assure campers are properly supervised at all times.
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines.
- Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment
- Maintain equipment. This may include climbing gear, backpacks, cooking supplies, camping equipment, trailers and more.
- Ensure the security of equipment when not in use.
- Conduct a check of equipment before and after each use, for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
- Participate in goal setting and evaluation in relation to self, peers and program.
Apply by: January 28 2017
Camp/Organization: Barbara C. Harris Camp & Conference Center (ACA Accredited)
Location: Greenfield, NH
Type of Position: Specialized Activity Leader
Time Frame: Seasonal
- Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder
- At least 2 years of challenge course experience
- At least 1 year of trip leading experience
- Experience with adventure programming
- Desire and ability to work with high-school aged youth (9th – 12th grades) in a camp setting.
- Passion for adventure camping
- Desire and ability to work with youth ages 14 – 17
- Ability to work outdoors in varied conditions.
- Highly motivated to learn and practice new adventure education skills.
- Familiarity with and openness towards the Episcopalian faith and traditions.
- Comfort in leading faith-based discussion and reflection.