The Barbara C. Harris Camp is located on Otter Lake in Greenfield, NH. We are an Episcopal overnight camp with an emphasis on faith formation, community building, positive peer relationships and personal growth.
EDGE is an adventure-based program for teens entering 9th – 12th grades that runs in 1 and 2 week sessions. EDGE Facilitators will co-lead a program focused on personal growth through challenging ropes course initiatives, outdoor living skills, wilderness trips and forming an intentional community. Spiritual reflection in an adventure setting is the cornerstone of BCH Camp’s EDGE program.
Dates of Employment: June 12th – August 3rd, 2017
Reports to: Senior Camp Unit Director
- Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder
- At least 2 years of challenge course experience
- At least 1 year of trip leading experience
- Experience with adventure programming
- Desire and ability to work with high-school aged youth (9th – 12th grades) in a camp setting.
- Assume responsibility for leadership and guidance to up to 14 EDGE campers in their daily living, with special attention to:
- Campers’ personal interactions with respect toward others.
- Campers’ personal growth, self-confidence and independence through group living.
- Providing a safe, positive and supportive environment for campers to challenge themselves and grow.
- Assist in the development and delivery of a trip program that is appropriate for campers.
- Evaluate abilities of campers and staff related to the proposed trip.
- Teach the skills necessary for a fun and safe trip before leaving the camp site, including personal and group health and safety, outdoor cooking and camping, comfortable travel methods, maintenance and care of equipment, emergency procedures, etc.
- Lead and teach campers in various outdoor program areas.
- Facilitate low and high ropes course initiatives.
- Co-lead hikes, night activities, camping trips, outdoor cooking, paddling and climbing trips.
- Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers within activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes.
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth.
- Assure campers are properly supervised at all times.
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines.
- Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment.
- Maintain equipment. This may include climbing gear, backpacks, cooking supplies, camping equipment, trailers and more.
- Ensure the security of equipment when not in use.
- Conduct a check of equipment before and after each use, for safety, cleanliness, and good repair.
- Participate in goal setting and evaluation in relation to self, peers and program.
There are 2 EDGE Facilitators – one male and one female. Both facilitators work closely together to co-lead the EDGE program, under the guidance and supervision of the Senior Camp Unit Director. EDGE facilitators are responsible for the safety and well-being of up to 14 EDGE campers.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Passion for adventure camping
- Desire and ability to work with youth ages 14 – 17
- Ability to work outdoors in varied conditions.
- Highly motivated to learn and practice new adventure education skills.
- Familiarity with and openness towards the Episcopalian faith and traditions. Comfort in leading faith-based discussion and reflection.
Physical Aspects of the Position
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavior-management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 70 lbs.
Apply by: May 26 2017
Camp/Organization: Barbara C. Harris Camp & Conference Center (ACA Accredited)
Location: Greenfield, New Hampshire
Type of Position: Specialized Activity Leader
Time Frame: Seasonal