We're Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (GSEMA). We’re 45,000 strong, with 30,000 girls and 15,000 volunteers in 178 communities in eastern Massachusetts who believe in the power of every G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader)™ to change the world. Girl Scouts is the preeminent leadership development organization for girls. It is also a great place to work! We offer amazing opportunities for forward-thinking, talented individuals who share our vision of helping girls and young women change the world for the better. Join our team of dedicated professionals and make a difference in girls' lives!
We have an exciting full-time position for Adventure and Challenge Course Manager. This position will report to the Associate Director of Camp and Outdoor Adventure and will be based in GSEMA’s Waltham office.
The Adventure and Challenge Course Manager is responsible for developing and providing outdoor program opportunities and support systems that meet the needs of the girls and supports the adults delivering outdoor programs to girls throughout the council’s jurisdiction.
- Provides opportunities for girls to grow and develop by planning and directing outdoor program activities utilizing council-owned facilities.
- Coordinates with community based programming staff to develop outdoor program opportunities to support membership recruitment and retention.
- Develops and implements the outdoor programs offered by the council.
- Responsible to meet participation goals for girls in assigned areas or for assigned programs.
- Oversees the administration of adventure programs to include: hiring; developing and implementing a recruitment plan for staff and a promotion plan for girls; supervising seasonal day and part time staff; ensuring the sites have program and other supplies and resources needed to operate.
- Develops and implements outdoor program opportunities in collaboration with schools/groups and other organizations to increase the usage of council owned facilities; establishes fees based on going rates for similar activities.
- Supports user group and member events as needed.
- Ensures that outdoor program offerings are based on girls’ interests and that all offerings are consistent with GSUSA guidelines, GSUSA health and safety standards, and local, state, and federal laws.
- Serves as a council trainer for volunteers and staff on camping and outdoor activities and provides training for CPR, Lifeguard and other pertinent certifications.
- Ensures that the council’s risk management plan is followed for all program operations and ensures compliance with all safety standards.
- Ensures understanding and full use of the Girl Scout program and adult education services by interpretation and development of written tools/materials.
- Contributes to the development of budgets for adventure, camp pathway, and other council sponsored outdoor programs.
- Collaborates with the volunteer development department to develop and implement outdoor training for adults delivering outdoor program to girls.
- Collaborates with outside agencies, colleges/universities, and professional organizations to strengthen council outdoor program.
- Keeps abreast of national and local trends and issues in the community affecting outdoor program delivery and council services and GSUSA’s changes, trends, and requirements related to the outdoor program.
- Travels throughout the council to meet with members and collaborate with diverse community groups; represents the council in the community.
- Coordinates with the property department to ensure the council properties are capable of servicing program through development of plans for continued improvement.
- Provides professional, quality customer service to members, volunteers, staff, and other community contacts.
- Ensures Girl Scouting is open to all girls and adults by delivering the Girl Scout message of pluralism and diversity to members of the council.
- Maintains confidentiality on behalf of the Girl Scout organization and in accordance with the GSEMA Comprehensive Information Security Program (CISP)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Apply by: April 16 2019
Camp/Organization: Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts (ACA Accredited)
Location: Waltham, MA
Type of Position: Administrative
Time Frame: Year Round
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Massachusetts Ropes Course Manager License or ability to obtain.
- Knowledge and experience in aquatic sports: sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, and swimming.
- Current certification in: Lifeguarding, First-Aid, CPR, WSI, and small craft.
- Experience operating a powerboat.
- Five years of experience in developing, conducting and supervising youth outdoor programs.
- Prior supervisory experience, preferably some offsite supervision.
- Experience in the development of budgets and ability to manage financial resources effectively.
- Strong public relations skills and ability to develop community collaborations.
- Ability to effectively identify, analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to plan, organize and prioritize work, while managing multiple deadlines in a continually changing work environment.
- Ability to be creative in troubleshooting and resolving technical issues.
- Ability to use sound judgment in decision-making, and to work independently.
- Ability to adapt well to a changing environment and fast pace work setting.
- Ability to communicate clearly orally and in writing.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and a willingness to travel throughout the council.
- Ability to work weekend, evening, and overnight hours.
- Knowledge of local and national licensing and accreditation bodies and organizations.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and have access to a motor vehicle, necessary to carry out assignments.
- Commitment to our mission of building girls of courage, confidence and character who will change the world.
- View working/collaborating with individuals of diverse backgrounds and ages as an asset.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Windows and Office software.
- Bilingual skill is desirable.
Full-time position, year-round. Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts offers a competitive benefits package including generous paid time off, health and dental insurance, training opportunities, and much more. Can’t wait to join our team? To apply, submit your resume and cover letter with salary expectations by visiting here - https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=705611aa-2189-4583-8365-8f033635d865&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=242370&lang=en_US&source=CC4 Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity.