The University of Maine 4-H Centers at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove provide environmentally- focused summer camps and residential school programs for Maine youth in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor. Programs emphasize ecology education, community living, respect for others, fun, safety, responsibility, and the joy of being a part of the natural world. Our mission is to teach and inspire youth from Maine and beyond to be effective and caring citizens of the earth through ecology education and fun, nature based experiences. We strive to develop lifelong skills and a sense of community spirit.
1. Co-lead a two-week or three-week, outdoor leadership program for teenagers (co-ed, max. 10/session) including one or two 4 to 12-day overnight backpacking and canoeing trips each session, NOTE: includes weekend work.
2. Plan lessons/schedules and implement leadership curriculum; teach a variety of skills: listening, communication, team-building, low-impact camping, conflict resolution, canoeing, backpacking, map and compass, general ecology, basic first aid, and knot tying; work with camp cook to order food for trips; prepare food for trips; coordinate logistical support; food/equipment deliveries, emergency support, etc.
3. Role model healthy living, positive energy, diversity, and clear communication; engage actively with campers during lessons, recreation and meal times.
4. Supervise and ensure the safety of campers at all times; facilitate group conflicts and strive to encourage problem solving and decision making; live-in and supervise cabin of up to 6 program participants of same gender.
5. Drive 8-12 passenger vans (sometimes with canoe trailer) to program sites with participants and other staff.
6. Evaluate program regularly with Camp Director and Logistics Coordinator.
7. Role model good stewardship for the environment, and support our efforts by participating in the garden, composting, and sustainable practices throughout all aspects of your role.
8. Actively participate in community chores, meal service, and miscellaneous maintenance duties as required.
9. Return all equipment and facilities in good conditions upon completion of program. Complete end of season inventory.
As a leadership program instructor you will have the opportunity to work with our oldest campers (14-17) for multi-week sessions, leading dynamic programming to embark on a journey of self-discovery and learning. These programs are designed for teenagers and involve wilderness trip leading and in-camp leadership instruction. Someone who has experience and enjoys working with teenagers is ideal to lead these programs. Participants learn leadership styles, communication skills and group building, as well as more detailed environmental education and ethics.
Apply by: July 5 2015
Camp/Organization: UMaine 4-H Center at Tanglewood (ACA Accredited)
Location: Lincolnville, ME
Type of Position: Specialized Activity Leader
Time Frame: Seasonal
- Must demonstrate responsible and safe decision making skills in all aspects of outdoor camp programming.
- Related experience working with teenagers and teaching in the outdoors.
- Substantial camping/backpacking/canoeing experience.
- Wilderness First Aid & CPR and lifeguard certification.
- Ability to lead groups outdoors over various terrain with 50+lbs. packs for 8-10 miles/day and ability to assist in carrying canoes (85 lb.) with others.
- Valid Driver’s license and clean driving record.
- 21+ years of age (DHHS and ACA requirement)
- Complete health screening and appropriate background checks
Someone who has experience and enjoys working with teenagers is ideal to lead these programs. Participants learn leadership styles, communication skills and group building, as well as more detailed environmental education and ethics.
Leadership One: River Explorers is for campers aged 14-16, it is a 2-week program, running 3-4 times during the summer Leadership Two: Mountains to Sea is for campers aged 15-17, it is a 3-week program, running 2 times during the summer Leadership Three: Appalachian Adventure is for campers aged 16-17, it is a 3-week program, running once during the summer; this position additionally includes leading week-long wilderness trips for residential campers and leading in-camp programming
1 Tanglewood Road
Lincolnville, Maine 04849