The University of Maine 4-H Camps at Tanglewood and Blueberry Cove provide environmentally-focused summer camps for Maine youth in Lincolnville and Tenants Harbor. Programs emphasize community living, respect for others, fun, safety, responsibility, and the joy of being a part of the natural world.
1. Provide first aid and health care treatment for all campers and staff. This includes assessment of illnesses, first responder to emergencies, and tender loving care for homesickness.
2. Ensure each camper has on file a health history/medical authorization form.
3. Evaluate and monitor health of all campers and staff including various complaints and concerns.
4. Establish and follow appropriate medical routines including record keeping in the daily medical log, disposal of medical waste, managing and safeguarding medications, and utilizing approved standing orders. 5. Conduct inventory of supplies and place orders when necessary.
6. Coordinate coverage of the health center, including nights and some weekends.
7. Maintain a neat, sanitary and welcoming health center.
8. Create a system for the daily health inspections of camp to ensure a healthy and safe environment for all. 9. Post hours for daily medications and notify staff regarding camper health concerns.
10. Be responsible for the administration of all medications and treatments.
11. Make appointments, when necessary, with medical/dental personnel in the community.
12. Communicate with parents and/or guardians regarding camper health concerns.
13. Prepare all first aid kits for emergency use and instruct counselors in current first aid methods.
14. Keep accident/incident reports that can be used for risk-management assessment.
15. Participate in staff training.
16. Prepare a summary and evaluation of the entire camp season including inventories, staff evaluations, camper reports on health problems, and make recommendations for the following season.
These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be reassigned and other duties may be assigned as required.
Apply by: July 5 2015
Camp/Organization: UMaine 4-H Center at Blueberry Cove
Location: Tenants Harbor, ME
Type of Position: Health Staff
Time Frame: Seasonal
- Licensed Registered Nurse (current in the State of Maine) or other appropriate training as approved by the camp physician, e.g. EMT, CNA, WFR, LPN.
- Experience in summer camp setting desirable
- Current CPR and First aid certifications
- Ability to originate, update and/or monitor health care, maintain records and implement the health care plan. • Loving concern for children.
- Ability to travel outdoors over various terrain, responding efficiently in the event of an emergency
- Complete health screening and appropriate background checks
$400/week (pre-tax); 10 week appointment; room and board provided June 7-August 15, 2015; one to three weekends required
1 Tanglewood Road
Lincolnville, Maine 04849