When to Train and Certify?
The non-camp seasons of fall, winter and spring are full of opportunities to train and certify staff for the summer. While most courses take place before camp in May & June, there are plenty of year-round offerings to keep you and your staff up-to-date on the latest educational developments for providing children with the safest and best summer camp experience possible.
Check back often for updated information
- Maine Summer Camps (Maine: Various Locations) This Pre-camp Training List compiled by Maine Summer Camps includes information on workshops. The 2018 list TBA in the spring. Last year's courses included: Lifeguard Training, Water Safety, First Aid, Pottery & Ceramics, Challenge Course, Drinking Water Safety, Water Crafts, Wilderness First Aid and First Responder, Fly Fishing, Horse Handling, Shooting Sports - Archery & Riflery, Tennis, and Trip Leader. Dates: TBD.
- Wyonegonic Camps (Denmark, ME) offers instruction/certification for Archery, Canoeing, Challenge Courses (low and high), First Aid & CPR, American Red Cross Lifeguard, Maine State Trip Leader, Tennis Instructor, WSI, and Windsurfing. Training clinics will be held in June 2018.
- YMCA Camp of Maine (Winthrop, ME) offers American Red Cross Small Craft Safety, Lifeguard Crossover & Re-cert, Lifeguard Instructor, BLS CPR/AED & First Aid, Swim Lessons Instructor (YMCA WSI), and Archery Level 1 & Level 2. Courses offered in June. For questions email firstname.lastname@example.org. To register click here.
- Project Adventure (Beverly, MA) offers courses in Artificial Climbing Wall I, Artificial Climbing Wall II, Adventure Institute for Camp Staff: Facilitation Skills & Low Elements, and Adventure Institute for Camp Staff: High Elements. Contact Keri Hinchin email@example.com with questions. To register Click Here
- Cape Cod Sea Camps (Brewster, MA) in 2017 offered US Sailing, USTA Tennis, NAA Archery, CMP Rifle Instructor, WSI Update Course in addition to various ARC courses in CPR, First Aid, and Water Safety. Courses offered in June. 2018 Dates TBA.
- Camp Wingate*Kirkland (Yarmouth Port, MA) offers American Red Cross certifications and courses in: Water Safety Instructor Training, Lifeguard Instructor Training, and Blended Learning Lifeguard Certification. Courses offered in June.
- Camp Pemigewassett (Wentworth, NH) offers a Nature Instruction Clinic from June 11 at noon - June 16 at 4:00pm. Staff will be trained to run a nature program at their camp, one suited to its location, participants, philosophy and schedule. Contact R. Laurence Davis, PhD, Director of Nature Programs and Teaching, Camp Pemigewassett firstname.lastname@example.org; 203-932-7108.
- Hulbert Outdoor Center (Fairlee, VT) has year round opportunities for certification and training for the following: American Heart Association CPR, SOLO WFA, SOLO WFR, SOLOR WFR Re-cert, Wilderness EMT, and ACA Canoe Instructor. Courses are scheduled to accommodate school breaks and the summer camp season. Keep an eye out for new training and certification availability. Courses are offered April-June and throughout the year.
Outside of New England
- Adirondack Training Institute (Kattskill Bay, NY) offers training and certification in SOLO Wilderness First Aid, SOLO Wilderness First Responder, American Red Cross Lifeguarding, ARC Water Safety Instructor (WSI), Powerboat Handling, NRA Shooting Sports Manager, Intro to Kayak, Intro to Canoe, Level 1 and Level 2 Archery, Water Ski Instructor and Driver Training, Mountain Bike Ride Leader Level 1, and U.S. Sailing Small Boat Instructor Level 1. Courses offered March - June, 2018. To register, call (518) 656-9462 or click here.
Year-Round Certification and Instruction Opportunities for Your Staff
- American Canoe Association
- American Red Cross
- American Sailing Association
- Amherst Archery Academy
- Certified Horsemanship Association
- Civilian Marksmanship Program
- Emergency Care & Safety Institute
- New England School of Archery
- Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities
- US Powerboating
- US Sailing
- US Tennis Association
- USA Water Ski
- Wilderness Medical Associates