When to Train and Certify?
The non-camp seasons of fall, winter and spring are full of opportunities to train and certify staff for the summer. While most courses take place before camp in May & June, there are plenty of year-round offerings to keep you and your staff up-to-date on the latest educational developments for providing children with the safest and best summer camp experience possible.
Check back often for updated information
- Channel 3 Kids Camp (Andover, CT) is offering an American Red Cross Lifeguard Course June 12 - June 16 for $250. Contact Alycia Williams at email@example.com. They will also be offering Challenge Course Certification June 12 - June 16 for $175. Contact Jay Pecha at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- North Branford Recreation Department (Northford, CT) is offering Level III Archery Instructor Certification. Tentative dates are August 18-20, 2017. Information on registration can be found at www.nbparkrec.com or by calling (203) 484-6017.
- SJ Riding Camp (Ellington, CT) offers a Certified Horsemanship Association (CHA) Riding Instructor Certification Clinic from June 11th-16th, 2017. Certification in English and/or Western in one of 5 levels, valid for three years. Contact email@example.com or (860) 872-4742 to register. Minimum requirements pertain.
- Windham-Tolland 4-H Camp (Pomfret, CT) offers Low Ropes Level 1 Facilitator Training, June 2nd and 3rd. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details and registration information. Trainees will receive Level 1 Certification and 16 clock hours. There will also be Canoe & Kayak Small Craft Training offered June 12 for $125. Click here to download the registration form and contact Heather Logee at email@example.com.
- Camp Agawam (Raymond, ME) SOLO Wilderness First Aid course and Wilderness First Responder recertification at Camp Agawam: Saturday, June 10, 2016 - Sunday, June 11, 2017 WFA commuter cost - $195; WFA resident cost - $215; WFR recertification - add $15.00; AHA Heartsaver CPR is available for an additional $40. Contact: Karen Malm at 207-627-4780 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Camp Beech Cliff (Mount Desert, ME) offers the following instruction/certifications, among others: USA Archery, Wilderness First Responder, Wilderness First Aid, Lifeguard Certification, and Urban First Aid and CPR. Courses in June and October.
- Camp Cedar Clinics (Casco, ME) offers an Archery Clinic on June 16th and a Maine Trip Leaders' Course (necessary for anyone leading trips in Maine) on June 13th. For more information email email@example.com.
- Maine Summer Camps (Maine: Various Locations) This Pre-camp Training List compiled by Maine Summer Camps includes information on workshops. The 2017 list TBA in the spring. Last year's courses included: Lifeguard Training, Water Safety, First Aid, Pottery & Ceramics, Challenge Course, Drinking Water Safety, Water Crafts, Wilderness First Aid and First Responder, Fly Fishing, Horse Handling, Shooting Sports - Archery & Riflery, Tennis, and Trip Leader. Dates: TBD.
- Camp Nashoba North (Raymond, ME) Through Nashoba Gatherings, courses offered include Waterski Works - June 15, Tennis Instructor Training - June 15 & 16, What Horse Handlers Should Know with Dr. Tom Judd - June 16, and Stand Up Paddle Board Instructor Training - June 17. For pricing and availability email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Winona Camps (Bridgton, ME) offers following instruction/certifications: CPR/AED, Water Safety Instructor, Lifeguard Instructor, US Sailing Counselor, Powerboat Safety, Basic Water Rescue/Small Craft Safety Basic/Instructor, Rifle Instructor, Wilderness First Aid, Maine Trip Leader, Lifeguard with Waterfront Review, Fly Fishing, and Mental Health First Aid. Training clinics run different lengths of time in June.
- Wyonegonic Camps (Denmark, ME) offers instruction/certification for Archery, Canoeing, Challenge Courses (low and high), First Aid & CPR, American Red Cross Lifeguard, Maine State Trip Leader, Tennis Instructor, WSI, and Windsurfing. Training clinics will be held in June 2017.
- YMCA Camp of Maine (Winthrop, ME) offers American Red Cross Small Craft Safety, Lifeguard Crossover & Re-cert, Lifeguard Instructor, BLS CPR/AED & First Aid, Swim Lessons Instructor (YMCA WSI), and Archery Level 1 & Level 2. Courses offered in June. For questions email email@example.com. To register click here.
- Amherst Archery Academy (Florence, MA) offers Level I and Level II USA Archery Certification. Level I Certification will be held on March 11, May 20, and June 10, 2017, and Level II Certification will be on March 11-12, May 20-21, and June 10-11, 2017 *You must attend both days. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Boston University Fitness and Recreation Center (Boston, MA) Boston University Aquatics offers American Red Cross certifications and courses in: Water Safety Instructor Training, Lifeguard Instructor Training, Blended Learning Lifeguard Certification and Re-certification. Courses offered all year; several Lifeguarding and Water Safety Instructor classes in the upcoming months.
- Brooks School (North Andover, MA) American Red Cross Aquatic School offers Water Safety Instructor training, Blended Learning Lifeguard Certification and Re-certification. Courses offered in May and June. 2017 dates TBA.
- Cape Cod Sea Camps (Brewster, MA) in 2016 offered US Sailing, USTA Tennis, NAA Archery, CMP Rifle Instructor, WSI Update Course in addition to various ARC courses in CPR, First Aid, and Water Safety. Courses offered in June. 2017 Dates TBA.
- Camp Taconic (Hinsdale, MA) offers American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) June 5-9, 2017, Lifeguard Certification Course June 11-15, 2017, and USA Archery Level I Instruction Certification Course June 15, 2017.
- Camp Wingate*Kirkland (Yarmouth Port, MA) offers American Red Cross certifications and courses in: Water Safety Instructor Training, Lifeguard Instructor Training, and Blended Learning Lifeguard Certification. Courses offered in June.
- AYF-Merrowvista (Center Tuftonboro, NH) offers Wilderness First Responder (WFR) May 30 - June 7, 2017. Email email@example.com with questions.
- Merrimack Parks & Recreation (Merrimack, NH) offers CPR/AED May 11 and June 3, 2017 and also WFA May 13-14, 2017, WFR Re-cert June 3-4, 2017, and WRF Full Course June 5-13, 2017. For questions about CPR/AED email firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions concerning Wilderness Medicine visit http://www.merrimackparksandrec.org/solo.html.
- Camp Pemigewassett (Wentworth, NH) offers a Nature Instruction Clinic from June 11 at noon - June 16 at 4:00pm. Staff will be trained to run a nature program at their camp, one suited to its location, participants, philosophy and schedule. Contact R. Laurence Davis, PhD, Director of Nature Programs and Teaching, Camp Pemigewassett email@example.com; 203-932-7108.
- Camp Wicosuta (Hebron, NH) will be hosting an Archery Training class on Sunday, June 18, 2017. The course will run approximately 9am-6pm. The cost of the one day course will be $150 including all course materials and meals. Overnight accommodations are available. The course will be offered by Lucy Morris, Executive Director of New England School of Archery. Visit http://www.nearchery.com/ to learn more. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Justin@campwicosuta.com 800-846-9426 if interested in attending.
- William Lawrence Camp (Center Tuftonboro, NH) During Certification Week, June 8th - 16th, William Lawrence Camp will be providing training for American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor, ARC Water Safety Instructor (WSI), ARC Waterfront Lifeguard and Re-cert, Civilian Markmanship Camp Rifle Instructor, Emergency Care & Safety Institute CPR for Professional Rescuer and ECSI First Aid, National Archery Association Basic Instructor Level 1, and SOLO Wilderness First Aid. Please register before May 29, 2017. For questions call (603) 569-3698 or email email@example.com.
- Windsor Mountain International Camp (Windsor, NH) From June 8-9, Windsor Mountain International Summer Camp is offering a National Archery Association Basic Instructor Level 1 Archery Training. $200 Per Person (Includes Instruction plus room and board). Contact Curtis Hines (603) 478-3166 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hulbert Outdoor Center (Fairlee, VT) has year round opportunities for certification and training for the following: American Heart Association CPR, SOLO WFA, SOLO WFR, SOLOR WFR Re-cert, Wilderness EMT, and ACA Canoe Instructor. Courses are scheduled to accommodate school breaks and the summer camp season. Keep an eye out for new training and certification availability. Courses are offered April-June and throughout the year.
- Lotus Lake Camp (Williamstown, VT) is offereing a Level 1 USA Archery Instructor Course on June 17 from 9am-4pm. Course conducted by Level IV Archery Coach, Kyle Bissell of Amherst Archery Academy. Direct contact to archery Coach Kyle At Amherst Archery Academy: email@example.com 774-261-3399.
Outside of New England
- Adirondack Training Institute (Kattskill Bay, NY) offers training and certification in SOLO Wilderness First Aid, SOLO Wilderness First Responder, American Red Cross Lifeguarding, ARC Water Safety Instructor (WSI), Powerboat Handling, NRA Shooting Sports Manager, Intro to Kayak, Intro to Canoe, Level 1 and Level 2 Archery, Water Ski Instructor and Driver Training, Mountain Bike Ride Leader Level 1, and U.S. Sailing Small Boat Instructor Level 1. Courses offered March - June, 2017. To register, call (518) 656-9462 or click here.
Year-Round Certification and Instruction Opportunities for Your Staff
- American Canoe Association
- American Red Cross
- American Sailing Association
- Amherst Archery Academy
- Certified Horsemanship Association
- Civilian Marksmanship Program
- Emergency Care & Safety Institute
- New England School of Archery
- Stonehearth Open Learning Opportunities
- US Powerboating
- US Sailing
- US Tennis Association
- USA Water Ski
- Wilderness Medical Associates